Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Heading back to New Mexico for a 91 make-up mile backpack with my friend, Tailwinds.

Last year I backpacked all of NM except for the 91 miles I skipped from Snow Lake to Pie Town.

I will drive back to NM straight from the annual ADZPCTKO weekend I attend each year. I leave for the KO on Thursday morning. I haven't decided if I'll drive to NM Saturday night or Sunday morning early. Sunday I meet my friend and backpacking partner Tailwinds in Quemado, NM. We'll spend Monday driving to drop one of our cars off at the Snow Lake Campground and then driving back to Pie Town to the start of our southbound hike back to Snow Lake.

I'm not very well trained, but neither is Tailwinds. Tailwinds is a very special lady I met online. We've become good friends, mostly over the phone, so I am really looking forward to spending face to face time together.

Tailwinds is Suzanne Finney's trailname. She hiked most of the PCT last year and will be finishing up the remaining miles later this summer. She is an exceptional writer and is well into the process of writing a book of her PCT adventure.
Here is a link to her journal:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=212970

If I have reception in NM while on the trail I'll post some photos. Otherwise I'll update my trail journal from last year after I get home.

I'll be back home on or before May 7th. I'm leaving just in time. The temperatures are rising here in the desert.

No comments: